"The Tigers"  37th,  67th, 37th North Hampshire Regiment, 67th South hampshire Regiment, Hampshire Regiment, The Royal Hampshire Regiment "The Tigers"


Our History
The Princess Of Wales
Officers List
Regimental Collet

Traditions / Customs


Regimental. March

Battle Honours
Corps of Drums
The Militia / T.A
Victoria Cross's
Photo Gallery
Ex-members today
Send Photos
In Memory
  View list
Submit name
Ex-member Sections
  Contact List
Clubs / Assoc
RHamps Website
  PRI Shop
Our shop
British Military Insignia
Picture Retouching
Military Links
  R. Hampshire links
Military Links
Add your URL
Devoted to the history and men of the 37th Foot, 67th Foot, 37th North Hampshire Regt, 67th South Hampshire Regt, The Hampshire Regiment, The Royal Hampshire Regiment.
Nothing is truly Gone until it is Forgotten

The 4th division was a regular division stationed at Woolwich, Shornecliffe, Dover and Colchester prior to the outbreak of the war. The 1st Bn. Hampshire Regiment was part of III Corps which consisted of the 4th & 6th divisions. The 1st Hampshire being in the 4th Division, 11th Brigade. It arrived in France in August 1914. Served in France and Flanders until the Armistice.

The 1st Battalion had moved from Aldershot to Colchester which transferred them from the 2nd Division to the 4th Division. On August 17 the Special Reserve was at its coastal duties, the Territorials were also mobilized and were taking over there stations. This relieved the 4th Division from its temporary role as spearhead of the Home Defence Force duties. The 4th Division could now follow the rest of the B.E.F. Overseas On the 21st-22nd of August the 1st Bn loaded on to thier ships at Southampton the right wing on the Braemar Castle, the left wing along with the Rifle Brigade on the Cestrian, and headed for Havre France. When the 1st Bn. Arrived the B.E.F. Was already in contact with the Germans at Mons. The 1st Hampshire detrained at Le Cateau.

Battles and Engagements

Click on the Battle to find out what part the 1st Bn. Hampshire played

Battle of Le Cateau. 26 Aug 1914.
Affair of Nery. 1 Sep 1914.
Battle of the Marne. 7-10 Sep 1914, including the passage of the Petit Morin and the passage of the Marne.
Battle of the Aisne. 12-15 Sep 1914, including the capture of the Aisne Heights including the Chemin des Dames.
Battle of Messines. 12 Oct-2 Nov 1914.
Battle of Armentieres. 13 Oct-2 Nov 1914, including the capture of Metern.
Battle of St. Julien. 24 Apr-5 May 1915.
Battle of Frezenberg. 8-13 May 1915.
Battle of Bellewaarde. 24-25 May 1915.
Battle of Albert. 1-13 Jul 1916, including the capture of Montauban, Mametz, Fricourt, Contalmaison and La Boisselle.
Battle of Le Transloy. 1-18 Oct 1916, including the capture of Eaucourt l'Abbaye, Le Sars and the attacks on Butte de Warlencourt.
First Battle of the Scarpe. 9-14 Apr 1917, including the capture Monchy le Preux and the Wancourt Ridge.
Third Battle of the Scarpe. 3-4 May 1917, including the capture of Fresnoy.
Battle of Polygon Wood. 26 Sep-3 Oct 1917.
Battle of Broodside. 4 Oct 1917.
Battle of Poelcappelle. 9 Oct 1917.
First Battle of Passchendaele. 12 Oct 1917.
First Battle of Arras. 28 Mar 1918.
Battle of Hazebrouck. 12-15 Apr, including the defence of the Hinges Ridge and the Nieppe Forest.
Battle of Bethune. 18 Apr 1918, including the second defence of Givenchy Pacaut Wood.
Advance in Flanders. 18 Aug-6 Sep 1918.
Battle of the Scarpe. 26-30 Aug 1918, including the capture of Monchy le Preux.
Battle of Drocourt-Queant. 2-3 Sep 1918.
Battle of the Canal du Nord. 27 Sep-1 Oct 1918, including the capture of Bourlon Wood.
Battle of the Selle. 17-25 Oct 1918.
Battle of Valenciennes. 1-2 Nov 1918, including the capture of Mont Houy.


Le Cateau, Retreat From Mons

On August the 24 th the 1st Bn arrived and detrained at Le Cateau at 4 am and walked six miles to Solesmes to cover the B.E.F. Retreat from Mons the B.E.F. Who were being pursued by a overwhelming forces. The Battalion moved into position at south west of Cattenieres, the Germans advanced 'D' company engaged them and they withdrew . During the night 'B' company engaged the enemy and had taken casualties, but while moving out of there position one detachment wiped out a platoon of "Jager". "D" company took a large amount of shell fire but had the satisfaction of seeing large amounts of German infantry advancing onto their positions, rapid fire turned the enemy who withdrew 300 yards.

The 11th Brigade which the 1st Hampshire, the Somerset Light Infantry, The East Langcasters, and the Rifle Brigade were part of, were ordered to re-form in front of Ligny. The Hampshire's and the East Langcasters were to move covered by the Rifle Brigade and Somerset L.I. As they did the Germans opened up, twice the Germans tried to advance on the position and each time beaten back, the 11th Brigade was then left unmolested. Later 11th Brigade started to retire from the Ligny position but orders did not reach several parties and all its units were broken up into disconnected detachments. 300 Hampshire's were holding on at ligny and were later given word about the move. The brigades wounded had been collected at Ligny and had to be left behind. The 1st Bn made its way across country and stopped near Serain, their losses came to nearly 200. The Brigade having maintained itself in one unfavourable position after another for 10 hours having helped foil the German effort to envelope and corner the wing of the B.E.F.

On the morning of August the 27th were moving across country again to Nauroy and arrived around 7 am North Irish Horse who were covering the position reported that German cavalry were approaching. Then German guns opened up and 'A" company were sent to cover the Brigade's retreat and silence the guns but became engaged by dismounted cavalry. This company held on for some time giving effective covering fire to the retirement of the main body.

The Hampshire's would go on to fight and by the end of 1914 The 1st Hampshire's had only six officers. Of the original other ranks 366 were still present, the largest number in the brigade: 265 N.C.O.'s and men had been killed or were missing, 390 had been wounded. Altogether eight officers had been killed, six were missing and fifteen had been wounded.


Battle of Albert. 1-13 Jul 1916,

Battle 1st July 1916

In the opening phases of the Somme the great attack of July 1st 1916 on a 25 mile front began. The fourth were facing stronger defenses than anywhere else. They were to attack north of Beaumont Hamel where two redoubts and a quadrilateral trench were particularly strong. It was hoped that the Brigade would reach Munich trench 1000 yards behind the front line where supporting the 10th and 11th would go through it. At 7.20am 10 minutes before zero hour a large mine as blown up under the German redoubt Hawthorn Ridge. This gave away the exact time of the attack. After the heavy guns stopped firing the Germans had ample time to man there positions after being in deep undamaged dugouts. The Hampshire (leaving there trenches at 7.40) followed the East Lancashire who had already been almost wiped out. Very few Hampshire made it to the wire a few bombers were reported to have gotten into the German line, but the majority were brought down at or short of the wire. The survivors could only seek the poor shelter of the shell holes which pitted No Mans Land here they had to lie for hours until darkness fell . This was the 1st Hampshire's worst experience of the war it had cost them 11 officers and 310 men killed and missing, 15 officers and 250 men wounded.

1918 The April Offensive

Pacaut Wood ( contributors John. A. submitted Pictures. Vol.2 Regimental History C.T. Atkinson.) April 22nd 1918

Located across the canal oppersite Gonnehem, was of considerable tactical importance it being a location that the enemy may mass for an attack. The attack on Pacaut wood was aimed at securing a line across the wood from La Pannerie on the right to Reiz du Vinage and cutting off the southern part of the wood. The Rilfe Brigade's objective was La Pannerie and they would be attacking on the right, outside the wood. The Hampshire having three companies in the attack with one in support objective was the wood.

The company in support was located along the southern bank of the canal, which the front line had been drawn back to allow for a heavy trench mortar barrage along the south edge of the wood. This ment that our forces would have to recross the canal by footbridges laid for the purpose. Zero hour was 5.15 a.m. on April the 22nd and at 5.18 a.m. the German guns opened up in response to our shelling which incurred many causualties in "A" company in the center which had its Commander killed as they recrossed the canal. The attack went forward well "D" company on the right, "A" company in the center, "B" company on the left with "C" company in support.

"D" company when neared its objective came under heavy machine gun fire 2/Lt. Abbott calling up two Lewis guns to deal with them this allowed two right platoons to move up and get established on the objective within zero +25 minutes. This happening five minutes after "B" company securing its position.

"A" Company was held up due to its casualties but finally hooked up with "B"company. A gap had opened in between "A" and "D" company which "D" began to close and a platoon of "C" company had been called up to help close. This platoon being led by Captain Causton came under heavy machine gun fire which killed Captain Causton while leading a rush. The platoon pushed on killing many of the enemy and ove-ran a reinforcing party. The platoon reached it objective which was a crossroads and began extending its flanks by bombing.

11 a.m. the German machine gun fire was now begining to slacken but shell fire had increased along the canal bank and the Hampshire lost Colonel Armitage killed. By early afternoon the whole line was connected "A" company slightly short of its objective. The Germans put down a heavy barrage with rifle and machine gun fire without much effect. After dark they attempted a counter attack but where driven back by mainly rifle and lewis guns. The center had continued action well after the right and left was well dug in which continued after the Hampshire were relieved by the the Somerset L.I. and the Duke's and went back to billets in Lannoy.

This was a highly successful operation. Over 70 prisoners and several machine guns had been taken. The ground taken at Pacaut Wood allowed of another advanceat Riez du Vinage. Losses were heavy with five officers killed and 43 other ranks or missing. 3 officers and 148 other ranks wounded.

John. A's Grandfather was involved in the above action and wrote home to his wife about the battle and the death of Captain Causton which ended up in the Hampshire Chronicle of 31 August 1918. which is also pictured below.

My Grandfather wrote the letter to my Grandmother while still in the trenches, how it got through the censor we don't know. My Grandmother wrote to and sent the letter to JP Causton's mother for her to see. Mrs Causton was so touched she showed the letter to the local paper and then returned the letter with a photo of JP to my Grandmother.

Left is a picture of his grandfather Harry Tuffin who started the whole thing off.

below is the picture of Captain JP Causton killed at Pacaut Wood. And the letter that apperred in the Hampshire Chronicle of 31 August 1918. Click it to read it.