For Cap badges of the Militia for Cap Badges of the Territorial's
The Militia can trace there roots back to the Anglo-Saxon days when all able bodied freemen were required to take part in the defense of the country. For years before 1758 different districts were responsible for certain parts of the coast Southampton was to guard itself unto Itchen Ferry, while other towns and villages were to provide reinforcements to the Isle of Wight thought to be the prime landing place of the Spaniards. In 1587 Hampshire was expected to produce 4,000 men under Captain William Henworth who was appointed Muster Master for the county and in 1588 precautions were increased.
The Marquis of Winchester, Lord Lieutenant of Hampshire was put in charge of Dorset also, Sir George Carey being Captain of the Isle of Wight, while the famous veteran Sir John Norris was given charge of four coastal shires, Dorset, Hants, Sussex, and Kent, with nine captains under him. Up until 1757 the Militia was only nominally in existence and was only organized into properly constituted regiments during the Seven Years War. Its reorganization receiving Royal assent in August of that year. This provided for 60,000 men by ballot for service in Great Britain only. Hampshire's contingent was to be two regiments The North Hants, and a South Hants.
Embodied continuously until December 1762. Then in 1778 when the French took an interest in the American colonies the Militia was again embodied. The North Hants assembling in March 1778 under the Duke of Chandos. Light companies were added and another company which brought the total to ten companies before 1780 when both regiments were summoned to London to assist in suppressing the Gordons Riots. At this time the North Hants had 26 officers, 566 other ranks, The South Hants having 13 officers, 500 other ranks*******************************************************************************************************
The North Hants Militia 1757 ( Winchester )
The Duke of Bolton, the Lord Lieutenant became Colonel. Officered by leading landowners and their sons. Consisted of nine companies of 3 sergeants, 3 corporals, 2 drummers, and 50 privates ( altered to 8 companies in 1759 with 60 privates per company). Moved to Bristol in 1760 to take charge of French prisoners, and were in Bideford in Devon later that year, and wintered around Newbury. Spent 1761 in Berkshire. Embodied continuously until December 1762
The South Hants Militia 1757 ( Southampton )
Commanded by Sir Thomas Worsley, who resisted the above Dukes efforts to secure control of both regiments. Officered by leading landowners and their sons. Establishment of 476 all ranks, usually stationed in Hampshire , embodied continuously until December 1762
The South West Hants Local Militia ( Romsey )1808-1916
The East Hants Local Militia ( Lymington ) 1808 - 1916
The Militia amalgamation on of the The North Hants and The South Hants formed The Hampshire Regiment of Militia in 1853 which became the 3rd ( Militia ) Battalion The Hampshire Regiment in 1881. Then in 1908 it formed the 3rd ( Special Reserve ) Battalion The Hampshire Regiment. This was disbanded on the 3rd July 1919.
Hampshire Rifle Volunteers 1859 - 1860
Administrative Battalions HQ's 1860 -1880
1st Administrative Bn Hampshire Rifle Volunteers. Formed 1860 - 1880 (= 4th Hampshire R.V.C. = 4th Hampshire after 1908)
2nd Administrative Bn. Formed 1860 - 1880 (= 3rd Hampshire R.V.C.= 6th Hampshire after 1908)
3rd Administrative Bn. Formed 1860 broken up in 1868
4th Administrative Bn. Formed 1864 - 1880 (= 2nd Hampshire ( Southampton ) R.V.C.= 5th Hampshire after 1908)
4th R.V.C. Formed 1885 ( = 7th Hampshire after 1908 )
Isle of Wight Administrative Bn. ( 1st Isle of Wight R.V.C. (Isle of Wight Rifles)= 8th Hampshire after 1908)
The above Administrative Battalions were formed in 1860 before this they were independent single company corps, 23 in all. This is the grouping of these Corps into the Administrative Battalions.
1st Administrative Bn. = 1st (Winchester), 11th (Romsey), 13th(Andover), 15th (Yateley), 16th (Alresford) and 18th Basingstoke) Corps, Head-quarters in Winchester.
2nd Administrative Bn. = 4th (Havant), 5th(Portsmouth), 6th ( Gosport), and the 23rd (Cosham) Corps, Headquarters in Winchester.
3rd Administrative Bn. = 7th (Fareham), 8th (Bitterne later Botley), 12th (Petersfield), 17th (Titchfield, broken up before 1882), 20th (Wickham), 21st (Alton) and the 22nd (Bishop's Waltham broken up before 1882) Corps, Headquarters in Fareham. ********* (See later notes)
4th Administrative Bn. 2nd (Southampton), 3rd (Lymington), 10th (Christ Church), 14th (Lyndhurst) and the 19th (Bournemouth) Corps, Headquarters in Southampton.
Isle of Wight Administrative Bn. 1st (Ryde) 2nd ( Newport ) 3rd (Ryde) 4th (Nunwell) 5th ( Ventnor ) 6th (Sandown)
Arrangements were subsequently altered the 3rd Administrative Bn being broken up in 1868 The Botley and Alton Corps transferred to the 1st Battalion, whose 15th and 16th Corps had been expanded into whole companies, while the Basingstoke Corps had been broken up( revived in 1875 as the 25th Hants as the 24th had been taken by the County Training College). The 7th, 12th, 17th and 20th Corps transferred to the 2nd Administrative Bn. The 4th Administrative Bn Headquarters moved to Lyndhurst, being brought back later to Southampton.
Rifle Volunteer Corps 1880 - 1885
In 1880 the 1st, 2nd and 4th Administrative Battalions became respectively the 1st, 3rd and 2nd Rifle Volunteers Corps with their old Headquarters.
1st ( Winchester ) Rifle Volunteers Corps
2nd ( Southampton ) Rifle Volunteers Corps
3rd ( Portsmouth ) Rifle Volunteers Corps
4th ( Bournemouth ) Rifle Volunteers Corps
Isle of Wight ( RVC )
||Click to see the full gazette from 1898
Volunteer Battalions 1885 - 1908
||1st ( Winchester ) Volunteer Battalion.
||2nd ( Southampton ) Volunteer Battalion.
||3rd ( Portsmouth ) Volunteer Battalion.
||4th ( Bournemouth ) Volunteer Battalion.
||5th Newport ( Isle Wight Princess Bertrice's ) Volunteer Battalion.
(wear the Rifle Brigade uniform and have a Rifle Bugle as a badge)
The conversion of the Volunteers into the Territorial, which took place as from April 1st 1908 were as follows.
The Territorial Force 1908 - 1920
The Territorial force was now organized on the pattern of the regulars, forming fourteen Divisions with some Yeomanry, now organized into brigades, providing its mounted troops. The Hampshire Volunteers Battalions were now renumbered as the 4th to 8th Battalions of the Regiment, the 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th becoming the 128th Hampshire Brigade of the Wessex Division under Colonel Crichton as Brigadier with Major Burford-Hancock (Hampshire Regiment) as his Brigade Major
4th ( Winchester ). Through 1914 - 1918 created the 1/4th Bn. 2/4th Bn. And the 3/4 Bn.( Which was the reserve Bn.)
5th ( Southampton ). Through 1914 - 1918 created the 1/5th Bn. 2/5th Bn. And the 3/5th Bn.( Which was the reserve Bn.)
6th ( Portsmouth ) ( Duke of Connaught's Own ). Through 1914 - 1918 created the 1/6 th Bn. 2/6th Bn.
7th ( Bournemouth). Through 1914 - 1918 created the 1/7th Bn. 2/7th Bn. 3/7th Bn.( Which was the reserve Bn.)
8th ( Princess Bertrice's Isle Wight Rifles ). Through 1914 - 1918 created the 1/8th Bn. 2/8th Bn.
9th ( Cyclist ) Bn. ( Southampton ) 1911 - 1913 Through 1914 - 1920 created the 1/9th Bn. 2/9th Bn.
( Home Service ) Hampshire Volunteer Regiment ( 1st September 1916 ) ( TF ) created 1st, 2nd, 3rd, & 4th Bn.'s
In 1914 - 1918 Field Service Battalions were formed these were the:
10th Bn. 11th Bn. 12th Bn. 13th Bn. 14th Bn. 15th Bn.
Also formed was a Non Field Service Battalions these were:
16th ( Local Reserve ) Bn.
17th ( Home Service ) Bn.
18th ( Home Service ) Bn. 1916
1st ( Garrison ) Bn. 1918
51st ( Young Soldiers ) Bn.
52nd ( Graduated ) Bn.
53rd ( Graduated ) Bn.
The Territorial Army 1920 - 1939
4th ( Winchester )
5th ( Southampton ) forms 5th/7th Bournemouth / Christchurch / Lymingtonin 1923
6th Duke of Connaught's Own ( Portsmouth ) which converted in 1937 to 59th & 69th Anti-Tank Regts RA (TA).
7th ( Bournemouth ) forms 5th/7th Southampton in 1923
8th ( Princess Bertrice's Isle Wight Rifles ) converted to Princess Bertrice's ( Isle Wight Rifles ) Heavy Brigade, RA In 1937
The Territorial Army 1939 - 1945