Formed April 1885 with six companies which was extended to eight and 547 rank and file. Its First C.O. Lt. Colonel Vandeleur. In August 1885 became the 4th Volunteer Bn. In 1888 the formation of Volunteer Infantry Brigades placed the 4th originally in the Portland Brigade and was transferred to the Portsmouth in 1890.
The 4th V.B. Formed a company of New Forest Scouts who were mounted on New Forest ponies.
In 1903 following the end of the South African War Colonel Thomson relinquished command of the 4th to Major Scott-Montagu ( Later Lord Montagu of Beaulieu )
1908 The Hampshire Volunteer Battalions Became the 4th to 8th Battalions T.F. The 4th becoming the 7th Battalion commanded by Lord Montagu of Beaulieu. In 1912 Lord Montagu of Beaulieu vacated his position to Lt. Colonel Parke formerly a Major in the Durham Light Infantry.
Click for Information on the 7th Battalion during WW1