"The Tigers"  37th,  67th, 37th North Hampshire Regiment, 67th South hampshire Regiment, Hampshire Regiment, The Royal Hampshire Regiment "The Tigers"


Our History
The Princess Of Wales
Officers List
Regimental Collet

Traditions / Customs


Regimental. March

Battle Honours
Corps of Drums
The Militia / T.A
Victoria Cross's
Photo Gallery
Ex-members today
Send Photos
In Memory
  View list
Submit name
Ex-member Sections
  Contact List
Clubs / Assoc
RHamps Website
  PRI Shop
Our shop
British Military Insignia
Picture Retouching
Military Links
  R. Hampshire links
Military Links
Add your URL
Devoted to the history and men of the 37th Foot, 67th Foot, 37th North Hampshire Regt, 67th South Hampshire Regt, The Hampshire Regiment, The Royal Hampshire Regiment.
Meredith's 37th Regiment of Foot.
Up until 1751 Regiments were known by the Colonels who commanded them. So that there is no confusion I have called the Regiment Meredith's, but have listed there actual name in black. Below is a history of the Regiment from 1702-1782 It shows the date, campaign, and Battles fought, some have pictures. Click on the blue links to read about the Battles, see the pictures, and the role the Regiment played. I am trying to research all the battles and as I do I will be updating the Information I have.

February 13th 1702 Raising of Meredith's, ( Meredith's )
List of Officers
1704 - 1710  War of the Spanish Succession. ( Meredith's )
1711 -1712  Quebec. ( Windress's 1710-1715 )

Ireland, England, Ireland, England
( Fane's 1715 - 1717 )
( Hinchinbroke's 1717 -22 )

  • Vigo Expedition spanish coast
1719 - 1726 Ireland ( Murray's 1722 -1735 )
1726 -1727 England ( repressing riotous colliers in Bristol 1727 )
1727 -34 Ireland
1734 -42 Ireland, England ( Ponsonby's 1735-45 )
1742 -1748  War of the Austrian Succession.
1745-47  The Scottish Rebellion. ( Dejean's 1746-52 )
1747 Holland War of the Austrian Succession.
1748 England
1749 -1755  Minorca.
  •  Name changed to 37th Regt. Of Foot.
1756 - 1763  The Seven Years War.
  • 2nd/37th formed 1756-1758 becomes 75th Foot in 1758
  •  Groebenstein.
  •  Warburg.
  •  Fellinghausen.
1763 - 1769  Minorca.
1776 - 1783  American War of Independence.

Meredith's Regiment


After the peace of 1697 and the drastic reduction of the army, England had little of a fighting force. Four Infantry regiments were authorized in June 1701 another fourteen ordered, six for sea service. One Officer now authorized was Thomas Meredith of Dollardstown, County Meath who was first commissioned as a Captain in the Duke of Leinster's Horse (7th Dragoon Guards) in 1691. In 1702 The Flying Post of May 24th speaks of Meredith's as being raised around Dublin Ireland but February 13th was the actual date. Thomas Meredith raised a regiment of twelve companies each containing 50 men. On this day William III King of England , Scotland and Ireland approved Meredith's choice of officers, 12 Captains, 12 Lieutenants, 12 Ensigns, 1 Adjutant, 1 Surgeon, 1 Chaplain, 1 Quartermaster. King William died 1 month later.


Below is a list of officers in the order they appear in the official document. To see the official document also showing the date February 13th 1702 Click here

Interesting thing here is that James Stewart shows up on the below list but not in the officers list taken from Volume 1 Regimental History the Royal Hampshire Regiment by C.T. Atkinson.

Name Rank Date To Regt Date
Thomas Meredith Colonel 13.02.1702 to 21st Fusiliers 1.5.1710
Richard Carthy Capt/ Lt 13.02.1702   Drowned 22.8.1711
Nicholas Bissell Ens. 13.02.1702   Drowned 22.8.1711
Thomas Bellew Maj. 13.02.1702   went 9.3.1705
Toby Cramer Lt. 13.02.1702 to Claytons Foot 18.10.1711
Phillip Finney
Ens. 13.02.1702   Retired 27.7.1717
James Douglas Capt. 13.02.1702 to Waynne's Foot 25.3.1705
James Stewart? Lt. 13.02.1702 ?? ????? ????
Ralph Walsh Ens. 13.02.1702   went 11.5.1720
Owen Norton Capt. 13.02.1702   gone before Blenheim
Thomas Thompson
Lt. 13.02.1702 Military Knight of Windsor 18.2.1710
Roger Neile
Ens. 13.02.1702   Gone by 1708
Robert Munday Capt. 13.02.1702   Soames Foot 25.3.1705
John Cairnes Lt. 13.02.1702   Gone by 1709
William Cornwall Ens. 13.02.1702   KIA 1.7.1704
Frederick La Penotiere Capt. 13.02.1702 to 18th R. Irish 13.2.1703
Henry Birum (Byron) Ens. 13.02.1702   Gone by 1.6.1715
Thomas Bennet Lt. 13.02.1702 to Pastons Foot 25.8.1706
Richard St. George Lt.Col 13.02.1702   Gone before Blenheim
John Wallis Lt. 13.02.1702   Gone before Blenheim
Thomas Carnes Ens. 13.02.1702   Gone by 1709
Thomas Buckeridge Capt. 13.02.1702   KIA 6.11.1708
John Boyer Lt. 13.02.1702   Gone before Blenheim
Conway Mace Ens. 13.02.1702 to 35th Foot 5.3.1710
Charles Barry Capt. 13.02.1702   Gone before Blenheim
John Armstrong Lt. 13.02.1702 to Wynne's Foot 25.7.1705
Fredrick Edmunds Lt. 13.02.1702 to Ikerrins's Dragoons 1708
William Wilkinson Capt. 13.02.1702   Gone before Blenheim
Henry South Lt. 13.02.1702   Gone before Blenheim
Thomas Jones Ens. 13.02.1702   Dead by 1721
James Browning Capt. 13.02.1702   Gone by 1709
Charles Mabbott Lt. 13.02.1702   Gone before Blenheim
Philip Maynard Ens. 13.02.1702 to Inchiquins Foot 1.3.1704
Hemington La Penotiere Lt. 13.02.1702   Gone before Blenheim
Philip Fletcher Capt. 13.02.1702   Retired 1710
Charles Stedman Ens. 13.02.1702   Gone by 1.6.1715

not on the list.

Peter De Rose Surgeon 13.02.1702   Gone before Blenheim
George Smith Chaplin 13.02.1702   No trace
James Jones Quartermaster 13.02.1702   Gone before Blenheim
Samual Moore Lt. March 1702   Gone before Blenheim
George Thompson Ens March 1702   Gone before Blenheim

The War Of Spanish Succession

In March 1703 it was announced that two Regiments were selected from Ireland for Flanders these were Stanhope's (11th Devonshire ) and Meredith's. On May 3rd they were at Falmouth in Cornwall and on May 20th they were reported at Rotterdam and placed in garrison at Breda . The Duke of Marlborough began his second campaign in the War of the Spanish Succession when Meredith's reached the Netherlands . This gave no chances for Meredith's to prove itself.

Return to Top



Meredith's were authorised to raise a thirteenth company recruiting took place in Coventry on 28th February. At the end of April 1704 The Duke of Marlborough's troops started to move towards and rendezvous at Bedburg, 20 miles NW. of Cologne. The British being 15 squadrons and 14 battalions formed nearly a quarter of the 90 squadrons and 51 battalions. Meredith's being in Ferguson's brigade with one battalion of Orkney's (Royal Scots) Howe's (15th East Yorkshire) and Ferguson's own regiment (26th Cameronians). On May 9th Marlborough 's men began the march to Coblentz, Marlborough and his cavalry leading the infantry the infantry reached Coblentz in a week and crossed the Moselle Then to the surprise of the men crossed the Rhine on bridges of boats. The Force then moved up the right bank of the Rhine being delayed by bad weather and roads. On May 24th. The infantry crossed the River Main and on June 8th reached Heidelburg. At Heidelburg, there were ample supplies, and the Infantry was in good order when it reached its destination, Gingen in the Danube valley, fifteen miles NE. of Ulm . 6 weeks after leaving Bedburg.


21st June

Marlborough needed to capture Donauworth which was cover on the west by the River Wernitz and was difficult to approach, and on East by the hill of the Schellenberg which protected it and needed to be taken. Just before day break Marlborough set his troops into motion, the advance guard being 130 picked men from each of the 46 battalions along with 30 squadrons. The advance guard began the 14 mile advance to the River Wernitz. The main body was headed by five British battalions, the Guards, Royal Scots (two battalions), Welsh Fusiliers, and Meredith's. In a heavy rain the advance guard reached the River Wernitz by 8:00 am to find the bridges down, this caused a delay and it wasn't until late in the afternoon that the advance guard were in position to attack. Marlborough could see the defenders feverishly working to fortify there unfinished positions. Marlborough decided to attack and at 5:00 PM the advance guard started up the slope followed by the cavalry and then the main body Meredith's being in the front line.

Enemy artillery opened fire, the advance guard were carrying fascines because a deep ditch surrounded the entrenchment, but the troops had mistaken a hollow some distance in front of the ditch and used there fascines. The attackers came within 80 paces and the defenders opened with a shattering volley, but still they advanced only to find they could not force an entrance. After a savage struggle, the enemy counter-attacked driving back the advance party who's devotion and determination greatly impressed the defenders. The attackers rallied on the supporting cavalry then advanced again when the head of the main body came forward.

The defenders again put up strong defence, but eventually grenadiers from several British regiments forced the enemy back, putting the British in control of a small wood on the left. The enemy took forces from its flanks to defend against the main attack to the centre this weakening the right flank where the fortifications where not complete so that Imperialist infantry could exploit an opening. This action was decisive the cavalry followed in behind, and the defenders found itself taken in flank. The cavalry then pursued the defenders who tried to cross a bridge of boats which gave way drowning many.

Allied casualties exceeded 5,000 the British alone having 450 killed and 1,100 wounded, the defenders lost 10,000. This battle was Marlborough's first real victory. Marlborough wrote later is his dispatches about Meredith's, who looked to me,' worth the bloodying on this important objective.' 4 officers and nineteen men were killed, ten officers and sixty men wounded.

Order of Battle (see map below)

John Churchill, 1st Duke of Marlborough - 48 Battalions & 62 Squadrons

The Advance Guard – (A & B)
1st Line: Lt General Goor - 14 Bns
Fergusson's Bde [5 Bns]: 1st Guards, Orkney [2 bns], Ingoldsby, Meredith (English)
Beinheim's Bde [6 Bns]: Goor, Beinheim & Rechteren (Dutch); Hirzel & Sturler (Swiss/Dutch); & Heidebrecht (Ansbach)
Montfort's Bde [3 Bns]: Imperial Grenadiers (Austria); Erffa's Grenadiers (Franconia) & Monfort's Grenadiers (Swabia) - from the Right Wing.
Lt General Lumley - 17 Sqns
Wood's Bde [10 Sqns]: Wood [2], Wyndham [2], Schomberg [2], Cadogen [1] & Lumley [3] (English)
Ross's Bde [7 Sqns]: Erbprinz Dragoons [4] (Hesse-Kassel); Ross's [2] & Hay's Dragoons [1] (English)
Lt General Hompech - 20 Sqns
Schulenburg's Bde [8 Sqns]: Schulenburg Dragoons [4] (Hanover); Erbach [2] & Baldwin [2] (Dutch)
Auroch's Bde [6 Sqns]:  Schmettau Dragoons (Ansbach) & Leib zu Pferde [2] (Hesse-Kassel)
Noyelles's Bde [6 Sqns]: Noyelles [2], Voight [2] & Leib zu Pferde [2] (Hanover)

The Main Body: 
General Charles Churchill – (C) 
Lt General Ingoldsby - 8 Bns (Left)
2nd Line: Wither's Bde [4 Bns]:  North & Gray, Derby, Fergusson & Marlborough (English)
3rd Line: Pallandt's Bde [4 Bns]:  Erbprinz Hesse-Kassel, Varenne & Wulffen (Prussia); Schwerin (Mecklenburg)
Lt General Herbeville - 8 Bns (Right)
2nd Line: Bernsdorf's Bde [4 Bns]: Bernsdorf, 1/Rantzau, Tozin, & 1/Gardes (Hanover)
3rd Line: De Luc's Bde [4 Bns]: Hulsen, De Breuil, de Luc & Tecklenburg (Hanover)
4th Line: Lt General Horn - 8 Bns
Seckendorff's Bde [4 Bns]: Leib Grenadiers, Hermann & Sternfels (Wurtemburg); Seckendorf 
St Paul's Bde [4 Bns]:  St Paul (Hanover); Wartensleben, Stuckrath & Schopping (Hesse-Kassel)

The Reserve
Lt General Orkney - 13 Bns
Hamilton's Bde [5 Bns]: Churchill, Webb, Howe, Hamilton, & Rowe (English)
Wilken's Bde [4 Bns]: Leib, Prinz Wilhelm, Erbprinz & Grenadier (Hesse-Kassel)
Rantzau's Bde [4 Bns]: Gauvin, D'Herleville, 2/Gardes & 2/Rantzau (Hanover)
Lt General Bulow - 25 Sqns
Hesse-Homberg's Bde [7 Sqns]: Grieffendorf Dragoons [3] (Saxe-Gotha); Sachsen-Heilburg [2] (Dutch) & Bannier [2] (Hanover)
Erbach's Bde [7 Sqns]: Hardenberg Dragoons [3] (Saxe-Gotha); Erbach [2] (Dutch) & Spiegel [2] (Hesse-Kassel)
Villers' Bde [11 Sqns]: Bothmar Dragoons [4], Villars Dragoons [4] & Bulow Dragoons [3] (Hanover)

The Artillery (D) was commanded by Colonel Holcroft Blood and consisted of 36 guns & 4 howitzers (6-12pdrs, 10-9pdrs & 20-3pdrs), deployed facing the Schellenburg on the hill just south (on the map just above) of the village of Berg. 

Prince Louis of Baden - 24 Battalions & 90 Squadrons (E)

The Foot: General Thungen - 21 Bns
1st Line: Lt General, Graf von Frise - 10 Bns
Fuchs' Bde [6 Bns]: Baden [2] & Salm [2] (Austrian); Bibra & Fuchs (Wurzburg)
Bevern's Bde [4 Bns]: Tollet [2] (Austrian); Bevern & Bernsdorff (Brunswick)
2nd Line: Lt General, Graf von Furstenburg - 11 Bns
Wald's Bde [6 Bns]: Erff [2], Schebelin [2] & Wald [2] (Franconia)
Reisbach's Bde [5 Bns]: Torte (Franconia); Reisbach [2] & Roth [2] (Swabia)

The Horse: General, Count von Styrum - 90 Sqns
3rd Line: Lt General. Baron von Bibra - 22 Sqns
Prinz Alexandre's Bde [10 Sqns]: Styrum Dragoons [6] (Austrian) & Fechenbach Dragoons [4] (Wurzburg)
Cusani's Bde [12 Sqns]: Gronsfeld [6] & Hohenzollern [6] (Austrian)
4th Line: Prince von Wurtemburg - 22 Sqns
Mercy's Bde [12 Sqns]: Mercy [6] & Alt-Hanover [6] (Austrian)
Erff's Bde [10 Sqns]: Helmstatt Dragoons [4] (Wurttemburg) & Castell Dragoons [6] (Austrian)

The Reserve: Lt General. Count de la Tour - 46 Sqns & 3 Bns of Grenadiers (Detached)
Fugger's Bde [17 Sqns]: Xanthe [6] & Alt-Darmstadt [6] (Austrian); Aufsess Dragoons [5] (Franconia)
Bayreuth's Bde [15 Sqns]: Leutsch [2] (Saxe-Gotha); Oettingen Dragoons [4] & Erbprinz Wurtemburg [4] (Swabia); Bayreuth [5] (Franconia)
Bibra's Bde [14 Sqns]: Bibra [6] (Mainz); Cusani [6] (Austria) & Osten [2] (Holstein)
Montfort's Bde [3 Bns]: Imperial Grenadiers (Austria); Erffa's Grenadiers (Franconia) & Monfort's Grenadiers (Swabia) - to the Left Wing.

  Return to Top


On the 13th of August 1704 at 2 am the attack on Blenheim began, about 52,000 English and Austrian troops under Marlborough and Eugene and about 60,000 French and Bavarian troops under the French marshal Camille, comte de Tallard. Marlborough had marched his army to the Danube River. Tallard himself was taken prisoner, and about 23 battalions of his infantry and 4 regiments of dragoons were pinned in Blenheim. At a cost of 12,000 casualties, the Allies captured 13,000 Franco-Bavarian troops and killed, wounded, or caused to be drowned approximately 18,000 more. The Battle of Blenheim saved Vienna from the French and demonstrated that the armies of the French king Louis XIV were by no means irresistible. Meredith's played a very small part engaged mainly in routing the depleted French from the centre. Meredith's received the battle honour for Blenheim it being a vastly more decisive battle then Schellenberg.

The recruiting campaign of 1705 was when the connection between Meredith's and the county of Hampshire was established.

Return to Top



The 23rd of May. Half way up a hill were two enemy fortified villages, Ramillies, and Taviers, and on the crest of the hill the enemy had massed its cavalry which were poised to swoop down on the attackers if they were to cross two rivers south of the villages. A 62,000-man Allied army under Marlborough and a 60,000-man French army under François de Neufville, Duke de Villeroi.

Marlborough 's strategy was to push 6 of his 19 battalions of Infantry across the rivers and marshes that protected the French centre, once there the 6 battalions one of which was Meredith's were to engage the left flank of the French Infantry, which would cause the French to reinforce its left with troops from the centre. When this was accomplished it left Ramillies inadequately protected. Meredith himself was commander of the whole brigade. Marlborough 's main cavalry charge was made upon Ramillies, shattering the weakened French centre defences.

After chasing the French through the night, on the morning of May 24th the French had been pushed 20 miles to Louvain . One by One the French gave up the fortified towns of Flanders . From Brussels to Burges, Marlborough 's greatest victory was complete, and Meredith's had justified their share in the battle honour of Ramillies. The French lost about 17,000 killed, wounded, or captured. Allied losses numbered about 5,000 killed and wounded.

After Ramillies there was no opportunity for success for the allied forces, more a test of morale, Vendome the French commander's new strategy was to evade rather than defend or fight. 1707 was a year of bad weather and a few skirmishes, the allied forces became weaken by scurvy, other afflictions caused by food deficiencies, lack of medical services, and failure of supplies to arrive. After letting the weather and disease fight for them the French renewed there offensive and captured the cities of Bruges , and Ghent early in 1708. Vendome's next objective was to capture Oudenarde on the river Scheldt .

Return to Top



From June 30th - July 11th 1708. French army under the duke of Burgundy and Marshal Vendme.

Marlborough established a bridgehead across the Scheldt. The Bridgehead consisted of a contingent of cavalry and 4 Infantry Battalions, under General Sabine. Meredith's was one of these battalions, who soon came under attack form 1 of 7 battalions of Swiss Infantry. After a short engagement the Swiss were routed and 3 of there battalions were wiped out and the remainder put to flight. For several days there was heavy fighting and the British lost 250 men compared to 6000 killed and wounded French and 9000 prisoners. Meredith himself was wounded in the upper arm.

In the summer of 1708 Marlborough set siege to Lille , and the allies losses mounted to 15,000, the French held out for 3 months. Meredith's stayed in place until the fort fell on 29th November, then they went on to capture Bruges and Ghent , where they spent the winter. The winter of 1708 was bad all over Europe and again the French were on the defence and Meredith's again took siege to the fortresses of Tournai, Douai, Bethune, Aire, and St. Venant.



On September 11th 1709 Malplaquet was the last stand for the French before Mons . Allied losses were immense no fewer than 20,000. Meredith's escaped lightly. The successful investment of the last 6 fortresses of the French defences now accomplished. Meredith's and 4 other Regiments were diverted from Flanders to help the colonist fight the French in Quebec . Meredith himself left his Battalion in 1710 due to political reasons.

Return to Top

1710 Meredith's becomes Windress's


Windress's and 4 other Regiments were diverted from Flanders to help the colonist fight the French in Quebec . On the 22nd of August 1711 , under General Hill, and Sir. Hovenden Walker. While trying to ascend the Lawrence River , Windress's and many other ships wrecked in a storm Windress's lost 8 officers and 253 other ranks the operation was abandoned.

The treaty of Utrecht brought peace in 1713 and Windress's had won 4 battle honours BLENHEIM, RAMILLIES, OUDENARDE, MALPLAQUET.

There was little for Windress's to do in peace time they helped suppress the First Jacobite Rebellion in 1715 and became known as Fane's until 1717. In the 30 years between wars drunkenness and crime was rampant, because soldiers of this time had no peace time roll. The regiment had one Commanding Officer and 383 ranks disgracefully discharged. This was about to change King George II brought discipline to the Army in 1727.

The War of the Austrian Succession

On June 17th 1742 the Regiment was shipped put to Holland and became part of King George's army in The War of The Austrian Succession. In the spring of 1743 the Army marched up the Rhine to remove the French from Bavaria .


The King arrived to lead the allied forces, and found the French in retreat, but did not pursue the enemy. This has been of interest to this very day. Instead he ordered his forces to halt, which gave the French time to regroup its forces and advance on the Allies positions and on June 27th an allied retreat was ordered which gave the French time to attempt too surround the allied force. The only cover being the town of Dettington , the army would have to stand and fight. While the French Infantry began to cross the River Main, French Cavalry prepared to charge from the right Five Battalions of British Infantry one of which being Meredith's. The British Infantry dropped to one knee and fired a volley at the French Cavalry. The King then led a Cavalry charge against the famous French Mousquetaires, during this assault his horse bolted and almost ran into the enemy lines, he was rescued by his Infantry. The French brought up its Infantry on the left who having crossed a river threatened the allied left flank. The British Infantry Pivoted on there knees and brought fire to bear on them, and the French were ranked for there trouble. The British in fine order and stead fast only paused to recharge there weapons. It was at this time that the French Mousquetaires reformed and attempted another charge, only to be beaten off by the King and his Dragoons. The French began to withdraw, but it was a victory that was not exploited. The Battle lasted four short chaotic hours. It was the last time a King of England would lead his forces into battle.

Ostend was to be the winter quarters. Meredith's and the Black Watch the 2 junior battalions were to stay at Ostend as the garrison battalions. The Black Watch later left being replaced by Beauclerk's (later the 1st Northamptonshire)

1745 Meredith's and nine other battalions were sent to England to fight against Bonnie Prince Charlie at Falkirk on the 17th of January 1746 .

Return to Top


Scottish Rebellion

Falkirk and Culloden

In the autumn of 1745 Meredith's was one of nine battalions sent to England to fight the rebellion of Bonnie Prince Charlie. Under Lieutenant-General Henry Hawley, Meredith's was one of twelve Battalions and a total of 8,000 men who set up camp near Bantaskin House west of Falkirk . The Jacobite Army 9,000 strong had set up on Plean Moor. On the 17th of January 1746 the Jacobite Army moved off to occupy the hill over Falkirk catching the British General by surprise. After realizing the situation he ordered his troops to the ridge on Falkirk Moor, and a hard rain began to soak the two opposing armies.

The British Infantry were in two lines of six regiments with the Dragoons on the left, just as the Infantry had finished forming up Hawley's cavalry began the attack. The Jacobite Infantry opened up killing eighty horsemen sounding the retreat the surviving horsemen stampeded its own Infantry. Seeing this the centre of the Jacobite line charged at the Royal Army who managed to fire a unorganized volley and then withdrew. If it had not been for two regiments on the right and one in reserve giving covering fire the casualties would have been worse, even these three regiments were forced to withdraw. 300 Royal troops were captured and 350 lay dying on the moor. The Jacobite's army lost 50 dead and eighty wounded. The Colonel of regiment Sir Robert Munro was killed. The Battle lasted twenty minutes, and was not exploited by the Jacobite Army who withdrew to fight another day.


On the 16th of April 1745 the Jacobite Army was moving into position one mile from Culloden House. The Royal Army under Cumberland was brought to a halt and told to form up two miles from the Jacobite Army. The Royal Army with bayonets fixed advanced toward the Jacobite lines, and came to a halt five hundred yards from them. The front was seven hundred yards long and in some places to two opposing armies were less than one hundred yards apart this being that the Jacobite's had not formed up in a straight line.

The Royal Army opened up with a cannonade of grape shot which devastated the Jacobite lines for thirty minutes, anxiety swept through the eager highlanders the Royal army showed no sign of advancing and smoke was blinding and confusing the highlanders. At 1.30 PM the Jacobite's charged the Mackintoshes of the clan chattan in the centre broke the ragged line and rushed towards the Royal Army the clan chattan lost eighteen officers, and hundreds of men getting only twenty yards from the Royal Army lines.

The Highlanders did penetrate the Royal lines about five hundred men got between the 1st and 2nd ranks of the Royal lines. The 2nd rank had to use there bayonets for fear of shooting there own troops in the 1st rank. The Jacobite Army began to withdraw when the Royal Cavalry had begun a flanking move at 1.50 PM . At 2.00 PM the Jacobite Army leaves the field and the Royal Army advances across the field leaving the two battalions who bore the brunt of the Jacobite attack in place. One of these battalions was the Meredith's. After the battle and for many days in neighbouring towns, people were killed by the Royal troops and many British Regiments emerged dishonourably including Meredith's six men were lashed and two officers were court-martialled for disgraceful conduct. None of the Royal Army that fought that day bears the battle honour for Culloden on there Colours. Meredith's were to say in Scotland until 1747 when they were sent back to fight in the last of the War of The Austrian Succession which ended in 1748.

Return to Top



Lauffeldt was the last campaign in the War of the Austrian Succession. 14 Battalions of British Infantry five Cavalry regiments, Hanoverians and Hessians on the left held the villages of Kesselt, Vlytingen, and Lauffeldt. The Austrians with 25,000 men were on the right. The enemy was Marshall Saxe massed his troops facing the villages. Lauffeldt was a small village and was defended by 3rd Brigade under Price and consisted of 37th 13th and the 25th also 2 battalions of Hanoverians. The Brigade started to build defences but had no communication with the rear. On the night of June 21st Marshall Saxe attacked with 5 Brigades. The British 3rd Brigade held on against overwhelming odds and kept the attackers at bay. The Brigades attacking Vlytingen now turned their guns against Lauffeldt to assist a new attack by 2 fresh Brigades which where checked Saxe then sent in the Irish Brigade(six Battalions) "wild Geese" which pushed the defenders back Cumberland moved in three battalions to reinforce his men and drove the Irish back.

Saxe sent in his Cavalry to cover his infantry as they rallied. Cumberland 's Dutch squadrons broke and galloped into the British, one battalion broke another fired upon the Dutch saving itself. Cumberland 's attack came to a halt Saxe seeing a gap poured his cavalry into it his infantry rallied and again attacked Lauffeldt. Three enemy brigades had gotten behind Lauffeldt Saxe now sent in his reserves and brought all fire to bear on the village the British brigade running low of ammo and not wanting to be cut off were forced to attempt a retreat. This was done with the help of the Cavalry (Greys, the Inniskillings, and the Duke's) the Dragoons lost 400 men.

Saxe's loses were more than the allies and he could not do anything to stop the withdrawal of the British. The 37th were one of the hardest regiments hit 12 men killed, 91 missing, 36 wounded. Winter quarters were at Williamstadt until they returned to England


The 37th arrived in England only to find that they were headed for Minorca .


Name change 37th Regiment of Foot

Meredith's were sent to Minorca in 1749. During there stay Meredith's name changed in 1751 to The 37th Regiment of Foot. The 37th stayed in Minorca until 1754. Then shipped out to England until 1756 when it was sent to fight in the Seven Years War.


Seven Years War

The Struggle for power in Europe during the 18th century led to the Seven Years War which saw England allied with Prussia and Portugal against France , Russia , Austria , Poland , and Sweden . Britain and France were each competing to increase their colonial power, while Prussia was fighting for control of the German speaking people in the Austrian and Russian Empires.


Click Picture to see high quality picture of below Photo by Ben May

The battle of Minden was fought on the 1st of August 1759 . 9,000 cavalry nine Battalions of Infantry (including 6 British Infantry Battalions) one of which was the 37th of Foot massed on Minden heath. The 37th formed up front line centre between the 23rd on the left and 12th of Foot on the right. The British Infantry advanced towards the French cavalry taking fire from 60 French cannons. The British Infantry stopped and formed up into 3 ranks, 2 kneeling and 1 standing. The French cavalry attacked the British red line 3 times being beaten back each time, 11 squadrons in all including the elite French Gendarme's, and the Carabineer's. 17 battalions of French Infantry now advance on the British Infantry's right flank. The 6 British Battalions are given the order to wheel to face the advancing French Infantry where volley after volley is exchanged and the French soon retreated. The British where then given the order to reform when they come under fire from the French Grenadiers who soon got beaten back to a safe distance by the advancing British. Marshal Conrades, the French commander saw his forces dissipated, largely because, and against all odds, the British advance towards the French through the crossfire of some sixty enemy cannons which shot them to bits. Seeing the British still advancing the French withdraw from the battlefield. It was not a winning battle but will always be remembered as an outstanding example of the discipline of the British Soldier. The Six British Regiments were:

Then                                                          Now      
 Napiers Twelfth.   The Suffolk Regiment
 Kingsley's Twentieth.   The Lancashire Fusiliers
 Huske's Twenty-third.   Royal Welsh Fusiliers
 Home's Twenty-fifth.   King's Own Scottish Borderers
 Steward's Thirty-seventh.   The Royal Hampshire Regiment
 Brudnel's Fifty-first.   King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry
Photo by Ben May

The total allied casualties were 13 Officers, and 337 men killed and missing with 63 Officers and 960 men wounded of these the 37th suffered 3 Officers, 1 Sergeant and 69 men (total 73) killed and 12 Officers, 4 Sergeants, 4 Drummers and 180 men ( total 200 ) wounded a total of 54% of its strength, the French lost 7,000 - 11,000 men 40 cannon 20 colours and standards. Roses grew in profusion on the battlefield the British troops picked them and placed them in their hats. This was the first time British Infantry had attacked massed squadrons of cavalry.

Return to Top



After the Seven Years War ended and peace came in 1763 the 37th of Foot was sent to Minorca where disease reduced the ranks and the effectiveness of the Regiment. In 1769 the 37th was sent back to England. It took the Regiment until 1775 to get back into shape when they were sent to America in July 1776 to fight in the American War of Independence. 

American War of Independence

Long Island

The 37th were ordered to America about October 1775 and found them selves posted to the 111rd Brigade under Major General Jones alongside the 10th 38th and the 52nd foot and landed at Long Island . One man being wounded in the 37th shows that they were hardly engaged. On September the 15th Howe crossed the East River and landed at Kipp's Bay the 37th being in the second wave. The enemy was retreating northward to Harlem on the north end of Manhattan Island . Washington soon evacuated for fear of being cut off but have left a strong force for holding Fort Washington which the 1st and 111rd Brigades now under Lord Percy were to attack in which 3000 enemy surrendered with 150 guns. Cornwallis now attacked Fort Lee which was captured and opened up the Hudson to British shipping. Washington retired across the Delaware and secured himself form further pursuit.

The 111rd and Vth Brigades along with the 3rd Grenadiers and the 3rd L.I. Boarded ships on December 1st and headed for Weaver's Bay Rhode Island where they landed on December 8th and secured their objective. Washington had crossed the frozen Delaware and surprised the Hessians at Trenton and took 900 prisoners. The 111rd Brigade was called back to be used in an attack on New Jersey which due to bad weather never happened.

The 37th went under a change and now was brigaded with the IV Brigade with the 17th, 46th, and the 64th foot. Those Grenadiers went to the 1st Grenadiers, and their Light Company going to the 2nd L.I.


On August 25th British forces under Howe landed at Elk Ferry, and on September 3rd they moved off. Washington crossed Brandywine Creek and set up his troops at Chad 's Ford hoping for a decisive battle. Howe sent Cornwallis's Division which contained the Flank battalions of the IV Brigade 12 miles north of Washington 's positions in a flanking move. The remaining troops were to attack Chad's Ford which they did but did not press the attack, about noon Washington received news that he was being flanked and sent a large force to assault them. As Cornwallis's troops advanced the IV Brigade was to reinforce. The Guards and the 1st Grenadiers got entangled in a large wood the 2nd Grenadiers and the L.I. Advanced unsupported and soon met heavy resistance, and the IV Brigade had to reinforce.

The troops attacking Chad's Ford finally pressed home the attack and the opposition gave way but it was getting dark Cornwallis had still not dislodged his opponents, and Washington withdrew his main force under cover of darkness. The next day Howe resumed the advance his left flank reached the Schuylkill River at Valley Forge on September 20th. Washington had left 1,500 men near Paoli's Tavern this was only 3 miles from Howe's camp. The 2nd Light Infantry, and two other battalions routed these men with Bayonets no flints were used 300 enemy were killed or taken prisoner and the British had eight casualties. The British forces entered Philadelphia on September 28th.


Washington's Ships in the Delaware

Around September 28th several battalions including 37th's Grenadiers were sent to deal with enemy shipping in the Delaware and the batteries were raised to obstruct the rivers navigation.


The 2nd L.I. Were on outpost when a strong force approached them early on October 4th driving them back to the main British camp. The fighting retreat gave the camp time to give alarm, and the 40th were placed into a stone house where they successfully withstood all attacks and allowed for the III rd Brigade to counter attack successfully causing heavy enemy losses. The attackers now retired in disorder, and where pursued by Cornwallis who had arrived from Philadelphia with part of the 16th Light Dragoons and the Grenadiers. The 37th had 3 men killed and 20 wounded this were the heaviest looses in their Brigade.

Monmouth Court House

The evacuation of Philadelphia had been decided on and the main body was to return to New York by land on June 28 th . Cornwallis was preparing to move out when Washington 's advance guard began appearing. Clinton who had taken over command from Howe about faced Cornwallis who closed with the enemy who he pushed back. The enemy then rallied at Monmouth Court House and the Guards and grenadiers soon dislodged them. Again the enemy rallied behind a marshy hollow after Washington himself rallied them but British troops overcame this position and occupied ground beyond it. The heat was so intense that men were falling down dead, Clinton buying time for the main body did not press the attack and halted his men until darkness at 10pm Clinton ordered Cornwallis to retire.

Clinton had 350 casualties 60 deaths from heat the grenadiers had 150, the Guards 60 and the IV Brigade 16. The 37th found itself committed to a defensive war around New York and in June 1783 left for Nova Scotia , and Newfoundland

While in New York the Commanding Officer received a letter from the Commander-in Chief which said:

" His Majesty having been pleased to order the the 37th Regiment of Foot, which you command, should take the county name of the 37th or North Hampshire Regiment, and be looked upon as attached to that division of the county, I am to acquaint you it is His Majesty's further pleasure that you should in all things conform to the idea, and endeavour by all means in your power to cultivate and improve that connection, so as to create a mutual attachment between the county and the Regiment, which may at all times be useful towards recruiting the Regiment.'

The 37th had a new name The 37th North Hampshire Regiment.